Update, Friday 9/12/14:
FOUR TWO ONE spot left in this class!
TWO ONE scholarship left!
Act now — class starts Monday 9/15…
The University of Dubuque Theological Seminary, is again offering my five-week online continuing education course “Prayer for Pastors” beginning September 15.
It is open to ministers of all kinds, but this time around I am offering a limited number of scholarships to pastors of small churches, thanks to a generous grant from the Louisville Institute’s Christian Faith and Life program.
- Prayer is crucial to growing Christian faith. We call faith “a relationship with God” — and if it is, we need to find good ways to communicate.
- Prayer is also crucial to effective ministry. Let’s face it: without an ongoing connection to God that restores you, being a pastor is a recipe for burn out.
- For many Christians in ministry, prayer is a problem. A whole lot of us don’t have ways to pray that draw us close to God, fill us, renew us, and send us out in joy.
- The good news is that there is a way to pray that is just right for you. Across twenty centuries Christians have developed a wide range of ways to pray — ways to pray that are as different from each other as the colors on an artist’s palette.
That is why I wrote Kneeling with Giants: Learning to Pray with History’s Best Teachers (InterVarsity Press, 2012). I want you to find deeply rooted, authentically Christian ways of praying that will help you thrive in faith and in ministry.
During our five weeks together you will experience five of the approaches I explore in my book.
- I’ll provide lecture content each week.
- You’ll read about and try on each way of praying.
- Together, in our discussion forums we will share our experience and learn from each other.
(It is way more fun than trying to learn to pray on your own.)
And then you’ll be ready to help the people in your ministry deepen and broaden their own prayer lives.
Here’s the low-down on the scholarships:
The tuition is already cheap at $150 USD.* The $100 scholarship covers 2/3 of that, bringing it down to an ultra-manageable $50.
There are two criteria for the scholarships:
- You must be serving a congregation with 160 or fewer members OR average Sunday worship attendance of 80 or fewer.
- You must commit to teaching an adult or youth study of prayer using Kneeling with Giants in the next six months. The class must be at least six weeks long and require all participants to purchase the book. (Discounts are available for group purchases.)
And of course you must sign up before the last one is taken…
The class, and the scholarships, are available regardless of denomination and regardless of national borders — so if you are among my readers in, just hypothetically, New Zealand, Australia, Britain, Canada, Russia, or Finland I hope you will join me.
*Those who have not taken classes on our platform before will also need to take our online learning certification course at some additional cost.
To sign up or get more info contact Bridgett Boone: 563.589.3691 | EMail: BBoone@dbq.edu.
I’m happy to answer questions in the comments!